Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Growth Spurts are for the Birds

Kaylee is five weeks old today. Hurray! We can celebrate five whole weeks of Sze and I not going crazy, not pulling our hair out, not pulling each others' hair out, and not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

As she hits this completely inauspicious and unassuming milestone, she has begun the first of many growth spurts. If today was any indication, I hate growth spurts.

She wakes up, screams like I'm eating her, downs a bottle in about 25 seconds, spits half of it up (usually all over my clothes), and passes out again. However, when she passes out, she still has to be held upright, or her reflux kicks and she wakes up all over again, shrieking like a little banshee. And she does this every two hours. That's two hours in baby time, also, which means from the start of one cycle to the start of the next, not two hours in real time.

It's been a very long day.

A friend of mine said to me today, "I don't know how you do it all! It seems like you'd have to be the Energizer Bunny." The truth is, I don't know how I am doing it either. I guess there is a cosmic and divine Mommy fuel that I absorb through my ears, because regular sources of energy like food and sleep are seriously lacking. Some days, it feels great. I am on top of the world and juggling the many hats of motherhood with style and ease. Other days, I feel more like I traded my MG self for a minivan and really, who wants to take THAT out for a spin?

Tonight's recipe is an easy one, for days where you just don't have the time or energy to get it all together. You can toss in chicken or shrimp to make it a meal, but it works best as a simple side for a busy weeknight dinner.

Arugula and Parmesan Salad

A few handfuls Arugula, with any tough stems removed
About 1/2 cup Parmesan
About 1/2 cup Almonds
1 Lemon, halved
Freshly cracked black pepper
Olive Oil to taste

Toss first three ingredients in a medium bowl. Juice the lemon over your salad, then add pepper and olive oil. Combine and serve.

Buon Appetito!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

my baby has acid reflux too! THe doctor finally gave us meds and it has helped A LOT! George used to spit up whole ounces at a time! He spits up much less and we are both way happier!

I too have no idea where the energy comes from! How am I capable of working a full time job, being a mom, wife, housekeeper, cook all the while getting up twice a night (bringing the hours of sleep each night to a grand total of 5 or so)??? Oh and all that without needing to be admitted to a mental hospital (at least today anyway).