Monday, March 24, 2008

Minor Details

Turns out, I lied. 

After work tonight, I started on my way home to make my shrimp quesadillas and realized that I was out of cilantro. "Oh no, self!" I thought. "Cilantro is vital to joyously good shrimp quesadillas! Besides, you have Tuesday Night Dinner tomorrow (more on that in tomorrow's post) and nothing to bring." So, after this little conversation with myself, I ventured to the grocery story to pick up a few necessities. 

45 MINUTES LATER.... it is now 7:00, I have friends coming over, two of whom haven't seen my home, the apartment is a disaster area, and I am just now getting back with an armload of groceries. Cilantro. Pffft. 

I do a mad dash white hurricane through the apartment as my cell is ringing off the hook, my roommate is coming home, and my dishes are most certainly NOT being done. (My apartment lacks a dishwasher. It is a tragedy.) 

45 MINUTES LATER (again).... I am informed that everyone other than my now starving self has eaten. The cheese I had on the brain earlier is long gone and all I can think of is this: 

AVOCADO. You know how I said I love cheese over all other foods in life? I think avocado, tomato, and lime give cheese a challenge to that lofty throne. I remembered a recipe that had been mentioned by my best friend on Earth just a few days ago, and decided to go for it. 

As a disclaimer (I'm a college grad. I know the consequences of not attributing my sources), this recipe is not mine. It's equal parts Carrie, my best friend, and Ina Garten, the Food Network chef. It is, however, fast, delicious, and completely easy, not to mention beautiful. I think I'll take it instead of garlic bread for TND tomorrow.

It is after midnight. Tomorrow is officially today. 

Avocado, Shrimp and Grapefruit Salad with a Mustard-Lemon Vinaigrette

Serves One

2 handfuls 50-61 count shrimp, peeled and tailed
2 small heads Belgian Endive
1/2 ruby red grapefruit, diced
1 avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lemon
1 T prepared yellow mustard
1 tsp honey 
1 T olive oil
Salt and pepper

Slice Endive very thin. Place in bottom of serving bowl. Layer grapefruit pieces and avocado. 

Salt and pepper shrimp, then saute on medium-high heat until pink, about 3 minutes. Layer over salad. 

In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, and lemon. Salt and pepper to taste, then whisk in olive oil in a slow stream. Pour over salad. 

Enjoy! 

No comments: