Thursday, March 27, 2008

Molto Bene!

Non si vive di solo pane.

I love Italy. Several years ago, I had the privilege of traveling to that beautiful country as part of a Renaissance Art course I took in college. The colors of the frescos, sculptures, paintings, and buildings; the lines of the endless plains, architectural brilliance, and meandering rivers; the sounds of Rossini and Dante and rapid fire Italian commerce have all ingrained themselves in my mind forever. I saw the David, the Pieta, the Birth of Venus, the Vatican, and Bernini's astonishing Apollo and Daphne housed at the Villa Borghese.

I saw a Ferrari and Maserati car show.

What I remember most vividly, though, are three things: standing in St. Peter's Basilica on the stone where Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, stumbling across the violin shop in Orvieto, and, of course, the food.

Central Italian food, particularly in Toscana and Umbria, is not the heavy, garlicy ordeal that we associate with Maggiano’s and the Olive Garden. Both La Cucina Toscana and La Cucina Umbra are some of the most traditional and unchanged cooking styles in all of Italy. They rely heavily on good sea salt, a little black pepper, and lots and lots of olive oil. Umbria is where you get your really good Salamis and Prosciutto de Salato, a saltier version of its cousin, Prosciutto de Parma, which you can find in the US. Because Umbria is farther inland, you'll find more beef and poultry in its cuisine. Forests play a big part in the food, with mushrooms and beans featuring largely in a lot of authentic recipes. Bad for me, as I dislike mushrooms, but good for those of you who do eat them.

Toscana is on the Mediterranean coast, so you can find some more seafood on their menus. As the home of lasagna, pecorino cheese, and chianti classico (my FAVORITE wine), the food focuses more on seeking out the best meats, cheeses, vegetables and fruits and then essentially leaving those flavors alone. Even their bread is unsalted.

The three biggest identifying features of both cooking styles, though, are simple seasoning, grilled meats, and the freshest, juiciest, most mouthwatering vegetables you will ever eat.

And don't even get me started on the wine.

While I was in Firenze (Florence), I had the opportunity to learn to make marinara sauce. Now, marinara sauce is not an authentically Tuscan dish. It is more commonly found in southern Italy, where the climate is warm enough for the tomatoes, basil and garlic to thrive. Whatever the circumstances, it has spoiled me on marinara sauces for the rest of time.

The guy my roommate is dating loves Italian food almost as much as I do, it seems, so Rachael wanted to make something good for him when he comes to visit. When she asked me for advice, I offered up my famous marinara, which we're going to make tonight, since it has to simmer for a very long time. Below, I say at least two hours, but it really behaves best at about three or four. I don't crush my own roma tomatoes; I am just not that motivated. Besides, the crushed tomatoes you buy at the grocery store will work just fine. Just make sure you buy low sodium, and organic if you can find it.

Famous Tuscan Marinara

2-3 tbs olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
2 large cans crushed or diced tomatoes
1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
2-3 ounces tomato paste
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef broth
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped very fine
1 bunch fresh oregano, chopped very fine
1-2 T red pepper flakes
1 T sugar
1 T lemon juice
salt and pepper (LOTS)

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium flame. Saute garlic and onion until translucent. Add tomatoes, wine, broth, sugar, juice and herbs. Salt and pepper very liberally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. If sauce gets too thick, add broth. This makes a lot of sauce, so you can freeze it for up to a month.

Buon Appetito!

No comments: