Friday, April 18, 2008

I <3 Richmond

About once a week, I am reminded why I love Richmond. Sure, the town is tiny - I can't go ANYWHERE without running into someone who knows me or someone I know - but there are some things that really can only happen here.

Case and point: Yesterday, I was going with my roommate to pick up sushi from the takeout place on Main Street. We're stopped at a stop sign and I look out my window to see two guys, probably around 18 or 19, with three bicycles. One of the guys is trying to arrange the extraneous bike on his shoulder so that he can ride his bicycle while carrying it. Rachael looks at me, I look at her, and we both look at these guys. Now, this is in The Fan. The roads are extremely narrow and, because of all the parallel parking, visibility is not so great around corners. I had visions of maimed undergrads dancing in my head for sure. So, I roll the window down and say, "do you guys need some help?"

5 minutes later, I have a bicycle stuffed into my beetle and I am on my way to VCU campus. Only in Richmond is the answer to that question, "Well.... yeah."

It was an interesting evening, to say the least.

The thing that I guess I love about Richmond, and that this story illustrates, is that there is a sense of community to this place. My downstairs neighbors comment on my cooking (particularly when I make Indian) and borrow soy sauce. The guy who lives behind me knocks on the door to let me know I've left my laundry in the dryer (again). The people are nice, the place is cozy, and it is, truly, my home.

Besides, it has great restaurants.

Growing up here, my mom (who is very Southern), always quipped that Virginia is NOT truly Southern because they eat oysters. And, compared to Tuscaloosa, AL, we're not. Take that or leave it. Community, though, isn't a uniquely Southern or even uniquely rural phenomenon. I think it can occur anywhere, and it does.

I think that today, in honor of the community spirit, I'll post my mom's famous cornbread recipe. Keep in mind, this absolutely requires a cast iron skillet, preferably one that belonged to your grandmother, to turn out properly.

Mom’s Cornbread

1 stick butter

1 cup self-rising cornmeal MIX

½ cup self-rising flour

½ cup evaporated milk

Water till very moist

Preheat oven and 1 Qt cast iron skillet with butter to 350 degrees.

Blend cornmeal, flour & milk, add water until very moist (better too wet than too dry). When butter is completely melted in the skillet, add most of the butter to the batter. Mix very well. Pour batter into VERY hot skillet.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown. Immediately turn out onto plate with knife under cornbread to prevent condensation from making bottom of cornbread mushy.

Cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy, y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Face it, you were just flirting. It has nothing to do with community. And Richmond is NOT southern :-D