Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Where in the world did you find THAT recipe?

My brother, Matt, swears that his last meal on Earth should be Indian butter chicken. My mom loves shrimp quesadillas and orders them at every Mexican restaurant we visit. My youngest brother, Alan, and I have a sushi tradition where we go to this one place whenever he is in town, and my dad eats Italian food like it is going to vanish off the face of the planet if he alone doesn't keep it in demand.

When it comes to eating and cooking, I really like to try new things. From Thai to Ethiopian to tapas and pho, I love experimenting with food from all over the world. Of course, it doesn't always go that well - I tried making sushi one time and ended up with rice starch up both of my arms, all over the counter, and in my hair - but I find it to be a great way to broaden my horizons both as a cook and as a person.

Last night, for Tuesday Night Dinner, we ended up having a little South Asian banquet. Sze made Hainan Chicken Rice, the unofficial national dish of Singapore, Dee brought makeshift samosas, which are basically curried potatoes wrapped in dough, and I made korma, a traditional Indian dish. Korma is one of my favorite Indian dishes for three reasons: it is not particularly spicy but it is extremely flavorful; the texture is really interesting, particularly if you make it with pork as I did last night; and it is easy and completely delicious, if a bit time consuming.

Korma

1 tbs vegetable oil (NOT olive)
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom pods
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 chicken thighs or legs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbs parsley

In large skillet, cook cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods in heated oil for about 3 minutes over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion and cook until soft.

Add the chicken, cook for about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper flakes, coriander and cumin. Cook for another 10 minutes.

Add tomato and water, cook for another 10 minutes.

Stir in buttermilk, cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley just before serving.

Serves 2.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this must have been the insanely good smell that I inhaled on my 6.5 mile training run! Yum Yum. :)