Monday, September 29, 2008

Elegant junk

Yikes! I forgot to post on Thursday! Bad Rebecca.

Well, that's beside the point, because over the weekend I invented a new recipe that I am very much enjoying, so the delay gives me an opportunity to share it with you! Now, in case you haven't inferred from my writings, I am not a fan of fried food. Typically, I find it greasy and far from satisfying. Not to say that I am a health-food nut - on the contrary, I love burgers and pizzas sometimes - but something about the whole idea of deep fried junk being in my body doesn't make me happy.

You know you just get those insane cravings for something sometimes, though? Well, yesterday I was DYING for fried shrimp. I just couldn't bring myself to drive all the way to Ashland for a Captain D's or Long John Silver's to satisfy a craving for nasty, greasy breaded jumbo shrimp, so I decided to get a little inventive in the kitchen. I ended up combining my recent affinity for all cuisines South Asian and my complete and utter need for something fried.

The result! Fabulousness. However, it was a bit spicy! So I whipped up a yogurt sauce and some couscous. Perfection ensued. And now, I pass perfection on to you!

Indian-Spiced Fried Shrimp with Cilantro "Raita" and CousCous
Serves one fairly hungry person

1-2 handfuls of 41-50 shrimp, thawed, shelled and de-tailed
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2-3 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cayenne
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2-3 tbs olive oil

"Raita"
1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp coriander
2 tbs fresh cilantro, shredded
1 tbs fresh chives, chopped finely

Couscous
1/2 cup water or chicken broth
1/4 cup couscous
Optional: 2 tbs lemon juice, 1 small handful golden raisins


In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth for couscous over a high flame. If using, add lemon juice and raisins now. Bring to a boil, add couscous and remove from heat, covering. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high flame. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and all of the spices for the shrimp. Shrimp are naturally damp, so you shouldn't have to dredge them to get the breading to stick. Turn shrimp in the breading until thorougly coated, then carefully place in the hot oil. Once the bottom edges turn an orangey-gold, flip with tongs (about a minute). Cook for a minute or so on the opposite side, then remove from heat.

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for "raita". Serve alongside shrimp and couscous or combine for a really ugly dish.

Park it on the couch (if you're anything like me) and Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes me think "Nom, Nom, Nom."