Monday, January 5, 2009

The next step

Holy Crap, ladies and gentlemen. Today, at 9:46 am, I bought my plane ticket to Taiwan. I am going. It is final.

I had failed to mention prior that there has been a slight alteration in my placement. Instead of going to Taichung, I was offered a position in a school with better accomodations, though it is in a smaller town called Maioli. I faxed off my contract today, bought my plane ticket, and Friday I secure my visa. This is happening for real.

If you know me, which I believe most of my readers do, then you know that I have had a pretty long sting of get out of my job free schemes. I was going to move to CA. I was going to open my own bookstore, then my own coffeeshop, then my own restaurant. I have been working on a book, a collection of short stories, and an autobiography since about 1998. When I undertake change, I don't do anything small.

Still. This is HUGE. This weekend I attacked my apartment with a fairly primal fury, tossing clothes, knicknacks, and general junk into the "To Trash", "To Sell", and "To Store" piles. Did you know I had around 200 books just hanging out in my apartment? 200 books!!! Wow I am a packrat. Uprooting my life is proving to be a new and unusual challenge. I am ready, though. Finally, I think I have completely accepted that not only is this happening, but I am doing it to myself. And I kind of like that.

Oh, did I mention that the new school is providing me with a bicycle? How cool!

Anyway, that's the most recent news in my upheaval. Thank you so much for your support in this new, weird, and slightly terrifying chapter in my life.

No comments: