Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Note to self

Hello, all. In my journeys around Jhunan and other parts of this island I now call home, I have been carrying around a journal in which I write observations, tidbits, and about half of what ends up in this blog. What has been cropping up more and more in the last week or so, though, are little notes and reminders to myself. I was just glancing through a few of them and realized that hey, they're completely hilarious, so I thought I would share.

Notes to self:

  • When having an emotional crisis, eat, then continue meltdown if necessary.
  • If the menu isn't in English and doesn't have pictures, assume that your food will have a head still attached.
  • If the menu is in English and doesn't have pictures, assume that your food will have a head still attached.
  • Get over the food with heads thing.
  • Completely give up on saying "four" of anything, because you will inevitably get the tone wrong and say "death" and cause the extremely superstitious Taiwanese to hate you.
  • Chinese is one of the hardest languages on Earth. Of course it's frustrating to learn. Take it slow.
  • When planning lessons (or anything else), keep it simple, stupid.
  • You didn't leave Murphy's Law at home with your tennis shoes and your extra chewing gum. Wherever you are, the thing you forgot is on the other end of those three flights of stairs.
  • Leek dumplings are really subpar in both flavor and texture. Don't order those again.
  • Do everyone a favor and stop substituting coffee for lunch.
  • Brothers and mothers are completely universal.
  • Chill out. You're doing fine.
And with that, I am going to teach! All my love, and I'll post again soon.

2 comments:

Dad said...

True Wisdom! Thou art intelligent, O Daughter.

Juli said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **DEEP BREATH**HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA