Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Turning Taiwanese

Ok, I really never post twice in the same day, but I had to tell about two things that happened today. It would seem that I just might be the most kick-derriere person ever when it comes to learning languages. Today, by myself and in Chinese, I purchased train tickets to the correct location, gave addresses and locations for three taxi rides, ordered a large coffee, negotiated retrieval of my suitcase with a concierge at a hotel (ok, this was mostly in English, but I did say "Hello, do you speak English" in Chinese), AND bought batteries, lunch, and milk tea. IN CHINESE!! All of it! I know how to say "Please take me to the Shangri-la hotel at 201 Tun Hua South Street" IN CHINESE!!! I know what the cabby means when he says "yi bai er"!!!! How cool is this?? I am the most self sufficient person EVER.

On a similar note, my classes actually went pretty well today. My class of littles who I adore had to get "magic lined" so they wouldn't run me over. (Magic line is "Okay, if you cross the magic line, you have to go sit down!!") My Emily class (they're the level four kids who are kind of slow) laughed at me for evacuating my skin when fireworks went off, but overall that class was good. The other two today were pretty solid. My Wednesday classes are easy because they're all younger kids and they're all lower level classes. Oh, and several of my ruffians from my Monday-Thursday class (not the miscreants. These are the younger group that wear me out before I get to the miscreants) decided to teach me Chinese today before they went to class. It was really cute. They went WAAAAAY too fast for me, so I may or may not remember anything they taught me come tomorrow, but it was still adorable.

Anyway, that was pretty much it. All my love, and I am going to bed. Night, y'all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, Becca! I agree wholeheartedly....you are the most self-sufficient person EVER. Miss you achingly.

Oh, and I'm not sure I could ever get over the whole "eat things with
heads" thing. Brava, my love! Brava!

- andrea :)

MOM said...

You rock baby girl! See "about me" from follower. **mwah**