Thursday, February 19, 2009

Take THAT, hormones!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I have done the impossible. I know that even I doubted my ability to complete this awe-inspiring task, but know that I am a invincible.

I won over the miscreant teenagers.

How, you might ask? If you're not asking, you should be, because I had a little help from a friend whose name can be summed up in two words:

Ferrero Rocher. Yep, that's right. I bribed the misfits with chocolate. Now, that's really not all I did. I realized that the reason they were acting up was probably because they were bored. Not with the material - they're bright kids and and seemed to keep up pretty well - but with the delivery. I was laboring under the assumption that they were too old for most of the teaching games the school uses and that they wouldn't buy them. Fact was, it wasn't the games they didn't want to play. It was the incentives that were lackluster. 13 year olds don't want to play just to win, or for some arbitrary reward cards that you have to earn and cash in for toys they were too old to want. They want gratification RIGHT NOW. So I gave it to them, in the form of really good chocolate. And they absolutely were awesome today.

The ruffians, the class I have before them that like to do things like hit each other with books? They're going to require a good bit more work. But hey, one down, one to go is not so bad. Especially when all of my other classes pretty much this whole week have gone well. I can handle one group of utter misfits. Though, suggestions are welcome :).

Anyway, I'm crashing early tonight because I can. All my love, and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Chocolate wins over everybody. I recommend just keeping a bag of candy on you at all times for rewards when they start being devilish. But don't let them know you have it always, or use it over-much. That ruins the advantage. :)