Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ummm...

When I get home, remind me to write a personalized letter of thanks to the CEO of Kroger simply for existing.

Today, I went grocery shopping for the first time. Cindy, the very nice admin of the school, took me over to the traditional Taiwanese market where I could get good prices instead of the Western grocery store that was "too expensive", she said. I don't know if it is a Taiwanese thing or just a Cindy thing, but she was very concerned about the prices of things.

Honestly, I think I would have taken the Western market. Things started out just fine. There were clothing stands and shoe stores and produce stands spilling out into the street, with people milling around and darting from one place to the next. It was mostly what I expected when she said "traditional market". I got weird fruit and a funky green tomato, rice and noodles and onions, and some red chili paste that I am hoping won't kill me.

Then we went into the meat market. Umm... yeah. There were long, creepy looking silver fish stacked one on top of the other and glassy eyed perch STARING at me and evil, spindly black chicken legs reaching up, feet included, off the ice beds. I though I might die. I mean, we have butchers and meat markets and such back home, but NOTHING compared to this. Everything was packed in close and right there in your lap almost.

I did buy a beautiful piece of tuna steak, though, and what looked like it might be swordfish. You know, if I have to look at creepy fishies on a steel stand, I may as well get the good stuff.

I will say, though, if I learn nothing else from this journey - I am never taking the grocery store for granted again.

Lots of love :)

3 comments:

Jackie said...

You ate pig's ears? You must describe how they tasted. They are technically pork...

MOM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MOM said...

I am so proud of your adventurous spirit and palate. "I know I can, I know I can, I know I can".